Dogs inside the taproomWith few exceptions, most states do not allow dogs inside food premises, and recent legislative changes are becoming more restrictive. From Charlotte, North Carolina, to Denver, Colorado, cities and states are enacting legislation to crack down on allowing dogs inside the brewery.
Dogs on the patioAs states clarify “no dogs inside the brewery” policies, many are affirming dogs are allowed in outdoor areas and patios, subject to food sanitation rules. Post signage stating the rules regarding dogs in an easily visible location.
Factors that merit attentionHere are questions to consider before you allow dogs in your establishment:
- Will you allow dogs during peak hours or special events?
- What leash rules will you have? Should you ban retractable leashes? Will you ask patrons not to secure leashes to furniture?
- How will you communicate the owner’s responsibility for cleaning up dog waste?
- How will you provide water to the dogs?
- How will you handle employee hygiene?
- What areas of the establishment are off limits to dogs and how will you communicate this?
- How will your staff deal with a bite to a human or another dog? What incident documentation will you require?
- Will you train employees to recognize aggressive dog behaviors?